Design & Operation of Passenger Ships Conference
20- 21 November 2013, London, UK
TO BUY THE CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS FOR THIS EVENT, CLICK HERE
In Association with
This will be the third Design & Operation of Passenger Ship international conference organised by The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA).
Continuing growth in passenger numbers mean that passenger and cruise vessels are now operating in locations that are more environmentally sensitive and even more remote. This places new challenges not only on the design requirements of new and existing passenger and cruise ships, but also the operational capability and safety procedures. Recent events - such as the loss of the Costa Concordia and a number of machine space fires that have left vessels stranded - highlight the need to review and understand the impact of proposed legislation and the importance of continual regulatory development.
The need to balance economic and environmental efficiency with increased passengers expectations of comfort and onboard amenities, along with improved passenger and crew safety, brings new challenges for those involved in the design, construction and operation of today’s passenger and cruise vessels.
To further investigate this aspect of the industry, RINA invited papers from naval architects, class societies, operators, researchers, and builders on a nunber of topics, including:
- All aspects of design hull, general arrangement,
- Interior design, leisure facilities and hotel features
- Current & future regulation & classification
- Environmental impact & technology innovation
- Powering & propulsion
- Sea keeping
- Emergency response, LSA and MES
A list of some of the papers being presented at the conference include:
- Unconventional Design Ideas of Ro-Ro Passenger Ships: Strategies and Results: R Puisa, Brookes Bell LLP, P Zagorski, D Vassalos, University of Strathclyde
- The Practical Difficulties in Assessing the Stability of Cruise Ships: D Ridden, Burness Corlett Three Quays Ltd
- Hydrodynamic Aspects in the Design of Passenger Vessels: R Grin, J van Heerd and V Ferrari, MARIN
- Risk Assessment for Passenger Ships: D Povel, FutureShip, A Ullrich, Germanischer Lloyd
- Function Based Bridge Organisation: H Hederstrom, CSMART
- Human Element in a Person Localisation & Tracking System for Ship Emergencies: D Owen LR Scandpower Ltd., T Karayannis, Lloyd's Register Group Limited
- Setting a Computer Simulation Platform for Passenger Ship DC Power Distribution Networks: J Prousalidis, T Kourmpelis, National Technical University of Athens
- EEDI Correction Methodology for Ro-Ro Cargo and Ro-Ro Passenger Ships: J Bergholtz, Kattegatt Design AB, Sweden
- Energy Efficiency Design Index Calculation of Passenger Ships: I Ančić, A Šestan, N Vladimir, University of Zagreb
- Comparative Assessment of Alternative Propulsion Systems of Ferries Operating in ECAs: G Theotokatos, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, G A. Livanos, Department of Naval Architecture, Technological Educational Institution of Athens
- A Statistical Control of the Ship Fuel Consumption: D Bocchetti, Grimaldi Group, A Lepore, B Palumbo, L Vitiello, University of Naples Federico II
- An Innovative, Environmentally and Economically Sound Alternative to Underwater Ship Hull Coating: B Van Rompay, Hydrex
- Next Generation Ultra-Luxury Cruise Ship: A Passive Design Eco-Luxury Cruise Ship for the Mediterranean: S McCartan and C Kvilums, Coventry University
- Trimaran High Speed Cruise Logistics Ferry (CLF) For Europe's Motorways of The Sea: S McCartan, B Verheijden, S Grand and L Swinfield, Coventry University, D Boote, Genoa University
Registration and Payment
|Registration Fee (Inc VAT)||By 20/10/2013||After 20/10/2013|
|Concessions (retired/students, etc)||£330||£330|
Register by 20 October and save money - Early Bird Registration fees (Inc VAT)
The registration fee includes printed conference papers, lunch, refreshments, drinks reception, a CD-ROM of the papers and presentations after the conference, and VAT. The CD-ROM will be posted to the delegates about 10-12 weeks after the conference.
Additional coppies of the conference papers or CD-ROM will also be available for sale ( members £110 and non-members £130) after the event. If you would like to order a copy , contact Billy Allen, Bookshop Assistant on +44 (0)20 7235 4622 or via e-mail at
Registration and Payment methods
Payments must be made in sterling by Eurocheque, cheque drawn on a bank with a UK branch address or sterling bank transfer. Please note that RINA requires payment before the conference date.
Under UK Customs and Excise regulations delegates from all countries are required to pay VAT on any conference or course taking place in the UK. Delegates from outside the UK may be entitled to reclaim this cost.
Cancellations received in writing two weeks before the event takes place will be subject to an administration charge of £200+VAT. Cancellations received after this time cannot be accepted and are subject to the full event fee. Delegates may be substituted; however this must be sent in writing and confirmed with the Conference Co-ordinator. In the event of cancellation of the programme for any reason, our liability is limited to the return of the registration fee.
The conference will be held at the new RINA Headquarters office at 8-9 Northumberland Street, London, WC2N 5DA.
The nearest Underground stations are Charing Cross and Embankment
View Larger Map
The RINA conference department does not get involved with booking delegate accommodation, however, if you need any accommodation during your stay in London, www.HotelsCombined.com, the worlds largest hotel price comparison website, is offering support to participants of this conference. An exclusive 10% rebate is given to hotels booked via their website for all attendees.
Check and book hotels in the surrounding area
For more information on the rebate program visit: http://www.HotelsCombined.com/Conference_Support
Sponsor and Exhibitors
RINA events provide the perfect opportunity for effective and highly targeted marketing. Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities exist for all of our conferences. For more information please follow the link or contact John Payten (RINA Group Sales Director) Tel: +44(0)20 7235 4622 Ext 400 or e-mail: to discuss tailored options or availability.
Attendance at the Design & Operation of Passenger Ship conference qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate
Previous Design & Operation of Passenger Ship Conferences
The Institutions has previously organsied Design & Operation of Passenger ship conferences in 2011 and 2007. Please click here to go to the Design & Operaton of Passenger Ship 2011 conference event page.