Marine Design 2014
3 - 4 September 2014, Coventry, UK
TO BUY THE CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS FOR THIS EVENT, CLICK HERE
Building on the success of the first International Conference, RINA Marine Design 2014 will provide a forum for reporting and discussing the design practice and technical issues associated with aesthetic design. The full spectrum of marine design from small craft to super yachts, including commercial and specialist vessels, will be examined.
An exhibition celebrating the 30th year of boat design will be open at the end of the conference, which will include a virtual 3D exhibition of Coventry University students' design work. This will show the breadth of capability within the department including automotive, transport and boat design.
The conference will present technical papers on a number of aspects of aesthetic marine design, including:
- Design Visualisation (including design methodologies, design practice, innovative concepts, design analysis tools, Computer Aided Design, TOI (Transfer of Innovation) from other industry sectors).
- Human System Integration (including HFE (Human Factors Engineering), Maritime Security, UCD (User Centred Design) methodologies, Emotional Design methodologies, Empathic Design methodologies, 'Aging in Place', TOI from other industry sectors).
- Sustainability in construction (including one-off construction and series production issues, facility design, materials, joining technologies, reconstructions and rebuilds of historic craft, results of simulation).
- Sustainability in operation (including, equipment, results of sea trials, results of instrumentation, results of simulation, TOI from other industry sectors).
- Implementation of regulations in the design process (including international, national, and regional regulatory frameworks, classification, codes of practice, rating rules).
- Virtual work/learning environments (including, CPD for marine designers, networking opportunities for innovation and exchange, virtual work environments to facilitate multi-disciplinary, multinational teams).
A full programme can be seen here.
Keynote: H2020-THE OPPORTUNITIES FOR INNOVATION IN THE EUROPEAN MARINE INDUSTRY, Ronald Vopel, Research Programme Officer, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission, Brussels
A list of some of the papers being presented at the conference include:
- EUROPEAN BOAT DESIGN INNOVATION GROUP: THE MARINE DESIGN MANIFESTO, Sean McCartan, B Verheijden, Coventry University, UK. M Lundh, M Lutzhoft, Chalmers University, SWEDEN. D Boote, Genoa University, ITALY. J.J. Hopman, F.E.H.M. Smulders, Technical University of Delft, NETHERLANDS, K Norby, Oslo School for Architecture and Design, NORWAY
- HUMAN SYSTEM INTEGRATION WITHIN A MULTIDISCIPLINARY SHIP DESIGN TEAM: AN INSIDE VIEW, Chris Greenbank, BMT Reliability Consultants Ltd, UK. Dale Richards, Coventry University, UK
- CYCLADES DEVELOPMENT OF A USER-CENTERED DESIGN FRAMEWORK, Nina Kaehler, Fenna van de Merwe, Peter Securius, DNV GL, GERMANY
- CONCEPT DESIGN SYNTHESIS OF AN OFFSHORE WIND TURBINE SUPPORT VESSEL, Patrick Couser, Bentley Systems France, FRANCE, Grégory Pelard, CNIM, FRANCE
- COASTAL PATROL INTERCEPTOR FOR WEST AFRICA, S Richardson, I Chapos, S McCartan, Coventry University, UK, T Dobbins, ST Research, UK, J Hill, Trident Marine Ltd, UK, L Campbell, Lorne Campbell Design, UK
- SHIP BLOCK DIVISION PLANNING CONSIDERING UNCERTAINTIES AT EARLY DESIGN STAGES, Ajay Asok Kumar, Nippon Kaiji Kyokai ClassNK, INDIA, Kazuhiro Aoyama, University of Tokyo, JAPAN
The conference will close with a Marine Design Lexicon Presentation and Discussion:
The Design Lexicon presentation will involve a review of exterior form design language for a range of vessel types and the associated design feature terminology used to support the design process, based on the lexicon used by professional designers from the automotive sector. This presentation will invovle an open discussion forum with the audience.
Registration and Payment
|Registration Fee (Inc VAT)||By 04/08/2014||After 04/08/2014|
|Concessions (retired/students, etc)||£300||£300|
Register by 18th May and save money - Early Bird Registration fees (Inc VAT)
The registration fee includes printed conference papers, lunch, refreshments, drinks reception, a CD-ROM of the papers and presentations after the conference, and VAT. The CD-ROM will be posted to the delegates about 10-12 weeks after the conference.
Additional copies of the conference papers or CD-ROM will also be available for sale ( members £110 and non-members £130) after the event. If you would like to order a copy , contact Billy Allen, Bookshop Assistant on +44 (0)20 7235 4622 or via e-mail at
Registration and Payment methods
Payments must be made in sterling by Eurocheque, cheque drawn on a bank with a UK branch address or sterling bank transfer. Please note that RINA requires payment before the conference date.
Under UK Customs and Excise regulations delegates from all countries are required to pay VAT on any conference or course taking place in the UK. Delegates from outside the UK may be entitled to reclaim this cost.
Cancellations received in writing two weeks before the event takes place will be subject to an administration charge of £200+VAT. Cancellations received after this time cannot be accepted and are subject to the full event fee. Delegates may be substituted; however this must be sent in writing and confirmed with the Conference Co-ordinator. In the event of cancellation of the programme for any reason, our liability is limited to the return of the registration fee.Marine Design Payment Registration
Alan Berry Building, Coventry University, Coventry, CV1 5FB
If you need any accommodation during your stay in Coventry, www.HotelsCombined.com, the worlds largest hotel price comparison website, is offering support to participants of this conference. An exclusive 10% rebate is given to hotels booked via their website for all attendees. Check and book hotels in the surrounding area; http://www.hotelscombined.co.uk/Place/Coventry.htm
For more information on the rebate program visit: http://www.HotelsCombined.com/Conference_Support
Sponsor and Exhibitors
RINA events provide the perfect opportunity for effective and highly targeted marketing. Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities exist for all of our conferences. For more information please follow the link or contact John Payten (RINA Group Sales Director) Tel: +44(0)20 7235 4622 Ext 400 or e-mail: to discuss tailored options or availability.
International Journal of Marine Design
If you are interested in this conference you may also be intrested in viewing our online versions of thr International Journal of Marine Design (IJMD). Click on this link to view the first three issues of IJMD.
IJMD provides a forum for the reporting and discussion on design practice and technical issues associated with aesthetic design. The full spectrum of marine design from small craft to superyachts, including commercial and specialist vessels, will be examined. The IJMD is published as Part C of the Transactions of The Royal Institution of Naval Architects.
The first Marine Design conference took place in Coventry on 14 -15 September 2011.
To buy the conference proceedings from the previous event, CLICK HERE
Attendance at the Influence of Marine Design conference qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate