Wind Propulsion 2019
The current use of alternative fuels and renewable energy sources within the shipping industry is still relatively scarce. Growing environmental legislation and concerns are driving the need to develop and apply innovative alternative power and propulsion technology for ships.
Now, industry players are increasingly putting a modern spin on one of the oldest concepts in shipping: harnessing the power of wind for ship propulsion.
RINA and International Windship Association (IWSA) invites papers from designers, class societies, operators, researchers, and builders on all related topics, including:
Market level assessment
- Future trends in the wind propulsion market – effects of policy, regulation, price and the market – barriers and drivers.
- Developing world markets – challenges, opportunities and designs for wind propulsion solutions.
- How does wind propulsion perform in the small vessel market, fishing, inter-island ferry, workboats etc.
- Lessons from the past – how does the long history of wind propulsion solutions inform the systems and solutions of today and tomorrow.
Concept level assessment
- Meeting the challenge of technical barriers to the deployment of wind propulsion rigs - stability, navigation, air draft etc.
- The use of weather routing software to maximise wind propulsion systems.
- How to optimise a retrofit installation on existing vessels - integrating retrofit wind into existing power management systems
- Standardising fuel saving assessment for wind propulsion & wind technology performance assessment
- Wind propulsion and classification – pathways to a standardised approach.
- Zero emissions/Carbon Neutral pathways – how does wind fit in and how can wind propulsion help facilitate the adoption of other low carbon systems and fuels.
- Assessment of the use of multiple different systems (e.g. sails and kites on the same vessel) and a series of the same rigs.
- Wind propulsion & autonomous shipping.
Technology level assessment
- How would maximising wind propulsion benefits impact the way we operate shipping and the ships themselves.
- The human element - perceptions, experiences to date, training and safety.
- Ports & logistics – how compatible are wind vessels with the existing infrastructure. What systems are being developed on board to mitigate this and what needs to happen in ports to adapt.
- Big data + Big wind – synergies, complementary approaches, impact and future developments.
- Materials and manufacturing – new developments/materials/systems for rigs and sails.
- Assessment of the technology transfer from the competitive and leisure sailing world.
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit their paper for publication in the International Journal of Maritime Engineering.
Submit Abstract or Register Interest
Click here to register your interest in the International Conference on Wind Propulsion conference 2019 and receive updates as they become available.
If you wish to submit an abstract, please send a paper title, brief summary (no more than 250 words) of what the proposed paper would be about and your contact details via the link above, by email directly to or fax to +44(0) 20 7259 5912. The deadline fo submission for abstracts is 1st July 2019.
The Wind Propulsion conference will be held at the Institution's Headquarters.
8-9 Northumberland Street, London, WC2N 5DA, UK
Delegates may take advantage of the Institution's membership to stay at Club Quarters, less than one minute's walk from Headquarters
Click for details of Headquarters and Club Quarters
Sponsorship & Exhibitors
RINA events provide the perfect opportunity for effective and highly targeted marketing.
Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities exist for all of our conferences. For more information please follow the link or contact JP Media Services Tel: +44(0)1737 852 135 or e-mail: to discuss tailored options or availability.
Continual Professional Development
Attendance at the RINA conferences and courses qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate