Smart Ship Technology 2018
23 - 24 January 2018
Following on from our successful Smart Ship conference the Royal Institution of Naval Architects is organising a third international conference to further explore some of the key issues and themes raised by the first conference.
Developments in both information and communication technologies (ITC) have had a significant effect on many industries within the last decade. However, it is now just starting to impact the shipping industry. ITC will enable some of the most fundamental changes to the way ships are designed and operated. While there are still technical issues to overcome it’s the non-technical hurdles such as economic and legal considerations that will define the rate of this progress.
Papers to be presented include:
- Exploiting Machine Learning for Parameter Forecasting and Ship Systems Anomaly Detection by C Gkerekos, I Lazakis & G Theotokatos, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Maritime Remote Assistance & Condition Monitoring Using Machine-Learning Tools by G Tsaganos, Piraeus University, Greece, D Papachristos and N Nikitakos, University of Aegean, Greece, D Dalaklis and A Olcer, World Maritime University, Sweden
- Gaming Technologies; Are We on the Brink of a New Age of Human Interaction with Naval Ships? by N Mitchell, BAE Systems Submarines, UK
- Autonomous Marine Navigation in GNSS Denied Environments by M Carter, Sonardyne International Ltd, UK
- Implementing unsupervised learning algorithm for marine engine data clustering applications by Y Raptodimos and I Lazakis, University of Strathclyde, UK
- User Interface for Big Data Analytics in Shipping by K Seek, SeaPlus InfoNautics Pte Ltd, Singapore
- Automated/Controlled Storage for an Efficient MBOM Process in the Shipbuilding Managing the IoT Technology by Arturo Benayas Ayuso and Rodrigo Perez Fernandez, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
Submit an Abstract or Register Your Interest
If you wish to submit an abstract, please send a paper title, brief summary (no more than 250 words) of what the proposed paper would be about and your contact details via the link above, by email directly to or fax to +44(0) 20 7259 5912.
Registration and Payment
|Registration Fee||By 02/01/2018||After 02/01/2018|
|£520+VAT = £624||£620+VAT = £744|
|£620+VAT = £744||£720+VAT = £864|
Concessions (retired/students, etc)
|£280+VAT = £336||£280+VAT = £336|
|£135+VAT = £162||£135+VAT = £162|
|£520+VAT = £624||£520+VAT = £624|
Register by 2nd January and save money - Early Bird Registration fees
The registration fee includes printed conference papers, lunch, refreshments and a CD-ROM of the papers and presentations after the conference. The CD-ROM will be posted to the delegates about 10-12 weeks after the conference.
Additional copies of the conference papers or CD-ROM will also be available for sale (members £110 and non-members £130) after the event. If you would like to order a copy, our Bookshop Assistant on +44 (0)20 7235 4622 or via e-mail at
Registration and Payment methods
1: Register and pay online using a secure link
2: Register and to be sent invoice for payment via bank transfer or cheque
Payments must be made in sterling by Eurocheque, cheque drawn on a bank with a UK branch address or sterling bank transfer. Please note that RINA requires payment before the conference date.
Under UK Customs and Excise regulations delegates from all countries are required to pay VAT on any conference or course taking place in the UK. Delegates from outside the UK may be entitled to reclaim this cost.
Cancellations received in writing two weeks before the event takes place will be subject to an administration charge of £200+VAT. Cancellations received after this time cannot be accepted and are subject to the full event fee. Delegates may be substituted; however this must be sent in writing and confirmed with the Conference Co-ordinator. In the event of cancellation of the programme for any reason, our liability is limited to the return of the registration fee.
RINA HQ, 8-9 Northumberland Street, London, WC2N 5DA
Sponsorship & Exhibitors
RINA events provide the perfect opportunity for effective and highly targeted marketing. Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities exist for all of our conferences. For more information please follow the link or contact JP Media Services Tel: +44(0)1737 852 135 or e-mail: to discuss tailored options or availability.
Attendance at Smart Ship Technology 2018 Conference qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate