International Conference on the Education and Professional Development of Engineers in the Maritime Industry
TO BUY THE CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS FOR THIS EVENT, CLICK HERE
26-27 February 2013, Singapore
Organised by RINA Supported by
Kindly Sponsored by International Paints
In Associaion with Ngee Ann Polytechnic and Centre of Innovation, Marine and Offshore Technology.
As the global maritime industry emerges from the downturn it has been experiencing in recent years, the key to its future success will be innovation in all aspects and sectors of the industry, whether it be in research, design, construction or operations. And in an industry which is technologically led, such innovation will be provided by engineers who have the professional skills to meet the future demands of the industry. Such engineers will need to have achieved the knowledge and understanding which underpins those professional skills while at university, and to have developed them through training and experience after graduation. But hat are those skills which the maritime industry of the future requires, how are universities and colleges to
provide the graduates who are able to develop them, and what is the role of industry in enabling those skills to be developed? What are the particular skills required by different sectors of the maritime industry commercial, naval, recreational, offshore, renewable energy? What are the interpersonal skills which engineers of the future will require to complement their technical skills?
This 2nd International Conference on the Education and Professional Development of Engineers in the Maritime Industry will build on the success of the first conference in 2011, and again bring together representatives of both industry and academia to present and discuss how those engineers of the future who will be the key to the future success of industry will achieve the knowledge, understanding and professional skills which industry needs, both today and in the future. The conference will compare the differences in the requirement and delivery of education, training and professional development in different sectors of the industry and in different countries, seeking to both learn and benefit from such differences. Given the lead time to provide professional engineers, the conference will seek to identify the changes needed now to provide the engineers of the future.
Provisional list of papers to be presented at the conference includes:
- The analysis some new and old requirements of the International Maritime Conventions: Oleksandr Kanifolsky, Odessa National Maritime University
- Naval Architecture and Ship Design Education in Singapore and Newcastle: Under-Graduate Learning and Teaching through to Initial Professional Development: Keith Hutchinson, Newcastle University
- India as the Hub of Maritime Technology Education in South East Asia: K Sivaprasad, Cochin University of Science and Technology
- Virtual degree in Marine Design: Grant Firth, Solent University
- A strategic approach to learning across diverse student cohorts through change in assessment methods: Sudhakaran Achazhiyath Edathil, Australian Maritime College
- Learning Through Industry-Focussed and Team-Based Maritime Engineering Design Projects: Giles Thomas, Dave Harte & David Pointing, Australian Maritime College
- Graduate attributes: industry and graduate perceptions: Mark Symes, Giles Thomas & Dev Ranmuthugala, Australian Maritime College
- The effects of interpersonal variables on peer assessment in relation to perceived learning outcomes: Mark Symes, Dev Ranmuthugala, Chris Chin & Anna Carew, Australian Maritime College
- Higher education and professional development of global human resources in the offshore sector: Jeom Paik, Pusan National University
- A new paradigm of collaboration in maritime teaching and learning: Ivan CK Tam, Newcastle University
- Collaborative work between i.t.s. and pt meratus line, an example of success story of triple-helix application in maritime industry in Indonesia: Ketut Utama, ITS
- Industry’s current and future requirements for professional skills: Arjun Mandrekar &Vivek Meena, Indian Maritime University (NSDRC)
- Student's view- Accreditation - international recognition of nationally accredited programmes, and the future of accreditation: Vivek Meena & Arjun Mandrekar, Indian Maritime University (NSDRC)
- My reflections: from a shipyard to a classroom: Arun K Dev, Newcastle University
- Development in ship and offshore hydrodynamics and need for an alternative teaching and learning method: Arun K Dev, Newcastle University
- Professional Maritime Education: Malaysian Perspective: Md Redzuan Zoolfakar, Universiti Kuala Lumpur Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology
- Curriculum development of marine and offshore technology (mot) diploma : the Singapore story: David Seow, Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Experience Gained From a First Year Course of Fundamentals of Engineering at Piri Reis Maritime University: Sander Calisal, Piri Reis Maritime University, Turkey
Registration and Payment
|Registration Fee (Inc VAT)||By 26/01/2013||After 26/01/2013|
|Concessions (retired/students, etc)||£120||£120|
Register by 26 January and save money - Early Bird Registration fees (Inc VAT)
The registration fee includes printed conference papers, lunch, refreshments, drinks reception, a CD-ROM of the papers and presentations after the conference, and VAT. The CD-ROM will be posted to the delegates about 10-12 weeks after the conference.
Additional coppies of the conference papers or CD-ROM will also be available for sale ( members £110 and non-members £130) after the event. If you would like to order a copy , contact Billy Allen, Bookshop Assistant on +44 (0)20 7235 4622 or via e-mail at
Registration and Payment methods
Payments must be made in sterling by Eurocheque, cheque drawn on a bank with a UK branch address or sterling bank transfer. Please note that RINA requires payment before the conference date.
Under UK Customs and Excise regulations delegates from all countries are required to pay VAT on any conference or course taking place in the UK. Delegates from outside the UK may be entitled to reclaim this cost.
Cancellations received in writing two weeks before the event takes place will be subject to an administration charge of £200+VAT. Cancellations received after this time cannot be accepted and are subject to the full event fee. Delegates may be substituted; however this must be sent in writing and confirmed with the Conference Co-ordinator. In the event of cancellation of the programme for any reason, our liability is limited to the return of the registration fee.
The conference will be held at the Convention Centre in Ngee Ann Polytechnic University, 535 Clementi Road, Singapore 599489. The conference will take place in LT68D.
Tel: +44(0) 20 7235 4622 Fax: +44(0) 20 7259 5912 Email:
If you need any accommodation during your stay in Singapore, www.HotelsCombined.com, the worlds largest hotel price comparison website, is offering support to participants of this conference. An exclusive 10% rebate is given to hotels booked via their website for all attendees. Check and book hotels in the surrounding area; http://www.hotelscombined.com/City/Singapore.htm
For more information on the rebate program visit: http://www.HotelsCombined.com/Conference_Support
Sponsorship and Exhibition Opportunities
RINA events provide the perfect opportunity for effective and highly targeted marketing. Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities exist for all of our conferences. For more information please follow the link or contact John Payten (RINA Group Sales Director) Tel: +44 (0)20 7201 2407 or e-mail: to discuss tailored options or availability.
Education and Professional Development Conferences.
The 2013 conference will be the second in the successful series of Education and Professional Development conferences.
Please click here to view the 2011 Education and Professional Development Conference Programme
Continual Professional Development
Attendance at The Education and Professional Development conference qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate