Directorate of Sea Systems
Directorate of Sea Systems is a technical support group located at MoD Abbey Wood whose mission it is to provide whole ship and submarine safety and engineering services to a wide range of customers within the MoD (new acquisition and in-service IPTs, Fleet and ECC) and the naval construction industry of the UK.
These services can be classified in four broad functions:
- Management of naval technical standards and guidance policy
- Sponsoring of individual standards and guidance documents
- Safety Assurance on behalf of the MoD Ship Safety Board (including Naval Authority regulation of ships and submarines)
- Technical Assurance in support of ship and submarine projects
3. Technical Advice
- Advice on all subjects areas covered Sea Systems sections.
4. Development of Technology and Modelling Techniques
- In support of the above functions, we are supported in turn by our contractual and informal links with engineering consulting companies including Lloyd's Register, DSTL, QinetiQ, maritime regulatory bodies, the universities and many international contacts with the navies of friendly nations. We also work very closely with colleagues in the MoD who provide similar services in the field of marine engineering systems.
Address: Directorate of Sea Systems
Defence Equipment and Support
Ash 3 # 3311
MoD Abbey Wood
Tel: +44 (0)117 913 5036
Fax: +44 (0)117 913 5943
Contact: John van Griethuysen