Cyber Security Training course 2021
12-16 April 2021
Infosec Partners and RINA are organising a program of cyber education modules, initially as remote courses, but subsequently as physical training courses.
5 separate training modules provide expert education in distinct areas of cyber security, each delivered as a one-day course.
Participants can attend separate modules or the full course and gain a formal cyber certificate of course completion, and a further award for achieving a score of 80% or more on the final course test.
Any member that successfully completes and passes 3 of the 5 modules will be awarded a formal education certificate through an examination body (PECB/APMG).
All training courses delivered by certified GCHQ approved trainers and subject matter experts in the field of maritime cyber security.
All training courses will include practical examples, scenarios, simulations and technical demonstrations of methods of protection from our technical cyber partner Fortinet.
Each module to be delivered 2 times per year, starting with modules 1-5 delivered on the week commencing 12th April 2021.
Module 1 - 12/4/2021
MARITIME CYBER RISK MANAGEMENT
Provides a structured framework to provide owners, captains, management companies and crew assurance that cyber risks are appropriately managed and that there is both resource and process in place to detect and respond to potential cyber breaches.
- Understand the maritime risk management process, from asset identification, categorisation, risk assessment and remediation.
- Be in a position to conduct a per-vessel IMO/ISO 27001 compliant security risk assessment.
- Appreciate the relationship between risk management, incident management and liaison with external parties.
Steve Lucas / Mark Oakton
Module 2 - 13/4/2021
IMO CYBER RESOLUTION MSC.428(98),
A FRAMEWORK FOR CERTIFICATION
Defines a formal program for vessels, fleets and third parties to achieve and maintain formal compliance to the IMO 2021 cyber regulations.
- Understand the contents and relevance of the IMO legislation change and how it applies to maritime security
- Learn the fundamental tenets of security compliance and governance in preparation for a risk management strategy
- Identify the specific frameworks and controls that are essential to the adoption of a suitable security posture.
Steve Lucas / Alex Martin
Module 3 - 14/4/2021
TECHNICAL CYBER CONTROLS FOR MARITIME NETWORKS
Technical IT and security controls vary greatly in the level of protection they provide. This module demonstrates an example of a secure fabric of security controls designed specifically to protect the complex, critical environments onboard. This course also demonstrates an attackers view of attempting to subvert security controls in both low end security controls and also advanced levels of protection that are more robust against attack
- Develop an appreciation of the necessity of segmentation; both based on role (IT/OT) or structure (entertainment, guest)
- Understand how network access control applies to a maritime environment and how to plan for the different categories of devices and their associated risk
- Learn the difference between the varying types of testing methodology and their suitability for employment on board.
Alex Martin / Mark Oakton
Module 4 - 15/4/2021
CYBER SECURITY TESTING, ASSESSMENT AND THIRD-PARTY REVIEW
This module demonstrates how Maritime IT & OT systems can be regularly tested to ensure they are free from serious vulnerabilities. Active penetration testing and passive vulnerability assessments highlight any security weaknesses in the design or operation of a vessels systems and highlight the impact of a potential breach
- Learn how to conduct a security audit of technical and policy controls in a maritime environment.
- Assimilate technical appreciation of the difference between passive and active scanning, and where each is most appropriately employed.
- Develop and implement an ongoing surveillance and improvement plan; to ensure that the best practices identified during audits remain in place all year round
Alex Martin / Mark Oakton
Module 5 - 16/4/2021
GLOBAL RISK MANAGEMENT & CYBER INSURANCE
Many organisations are unsure how to effectively protect themselves when travelling or when away from their home base, cyber threats differ in impact and likelihood depending on what location the vessel, owner or crew are located in. The range of options to respond and recover also differs widely across borders.
This module promotes a structured process for documenting threats and vulnerabilities, defining the appropriate level of both protection and response and how the security profile changes based on location and resource. This module also seeks to educate captains, owners, crew and yacht management companies on the benefits and pitfalls of cyber insurance and also the processes for invoking insurance in the event of any suspected or confirmed cyber breach..
- Understand the different categories of information and how legislation mandates that personal information be controlled.
- Learn how to securely communicate across borders and apply appropriate encryption to data in transit and at rest.
- Appreciate the importance of insurance in the overall risk management strategy
Riz Omar / Captain John L David
Click here to register your interest in the cyber security course and receive updates as they become available.
If you have questions please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org
Each module: £90
All 5 modules: £400
Each module: £135
All 5 modules: £600
*VAT added when applicable*
The course modules will be delivered through an interactive online training environment. Further details will be sent once course enrolment has been completed
Sponsorship & Exhibitors
RINA provides digital sponsorship opportunities which allow you to showcase your company and target your message with our Webinar Events.
For pricing and customized proposals contact Aftab Perwaiz on +44 7767791180, or email
Continual Professional Development
Attendance at the RINA conferences and courses qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate