WARSHIP 2017: Naval Submarines & UUV's
14-15 June 2017, Bath, UK CALL FOR PAPERS
The global submarine market is expected to experience growth in the next few years. North America and Europe are key markets, however there is an expanding interest in the Asia-Pacific region which will also drive growth in the market over the next ten years.
Governments wishing to acquire submarine capability are under increasing pressure to make budget savings in their new build projects. This has encouraged a preference in using off the shelf components, over bespoke solutions, and a focus on cost reduction throughout the in-service life of the boat.
Many countries are looking to replace their existing class of submarines; the UK is due to replace the Vanguard class when it leaves service in 2021. This successor class design needs to take advantage of new trends in smart technology and autonomous operation, in part fuelled by cheaper sensors, which will change the tactical seascape. Any new submarine design will need flexibility to adapt to these changes.
The Warship 2017 conference will also include the rapidly growing field of military Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs). The development of much more sophisticated autonomous vehicles (AOV) has led to their integration into a much wider network of both manned and unmanned vessels.
To further investigate this aspect of the industry, RINA invites papers on all aspects of the design, construction and operation of Naval Submarines and UUVs, including the following topics:
- The submarine enterprise– stakeholders– supply chain– key skills.
- Application of Smart Technologies and Operation- including sensors.
- Future Submarine requirements and their strategic context.
- Affordable, available and adaptive submarines.
- Management of submarine design information and maintenance of design intent.
- Design and construction of submarines & UUV’s.
- Novel materials; their underwater application.
- Energy Storage and efficient use of platform systems.
- External installation of weapon delivery systems, towed sensors and communications systems.
- Submarine power, propulsion systems and signature management.
- Operating unmanned underwater vehicles from submarines.
- Submarine safety, incl. escape and rescue.
- The environmental impact of submarines
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit their paper for publication in the International Journal of Maritime Engineering.
Submit an Abstract or Register Your Interest
Click here to register your interest in the Warship 2017 Conference and receive updates as they become available.
If you wish to submit an abstract, please send a paper title, brief summary (no more than 250 words) of what the proposed paper would be about and your contact details via the link above, by email directly to or fax to +44(0) 20 7259 5912. The deadline submission for abstracts is 17th February 2017.
The Warship conference is being held at the Guildhall, Bath - High Street, Bath, BA1 5AW.
Sponsorship & Exhibtors
RINA events provide the perfect opportunity for effective and highly targeted marketing. Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities exist for all of our conferences. For more information please follow the link or contact John Payten (RINA Group Sales Director) Tel: +44(0)20 7235 4622 Ext 400 or e-mail: to discuss tailored options or availability.
Attendance at the Warship 2017 Conference qualifies as Continuing Professional Development. Delegates to the conference will receive a CPD Certificate